Connecting empirical social science research in societal crises
RatSWD working group in the 7th appointment period (2020–2023)
The starting point for this working group was the outbreak of the Corona pandemic in spring 2020 and the emergence of a large number of projects and initiatives that empirically record the social impact of the pandemic and how to combat it. Since then, the RatSWD Office has been collecting information on social, behavioural, educational and economic studies and initiatives to empirically research the Corona pandemic.
The collection revealed that recurring themes of the RatSWD such as data quality, interoperability between the different projects and a concept for research data management were at best sporadically thought through in the projects.
The aim of this working group is to initiate networking and interoperability of social, behavioural, educational and economic research projects across methodological boundaries and thus to support the quality assurance of research data and the change in data culture, even in small ad hoc research projects. Planned results are the establishment and continuation of the database on the RatSWD website and the publication and communication of a standard questionnaire to enable interoperability between studies. The results of the working group will be published in the RatSWD Output Series and implemented through workshops and presentations at expert conferences.
In response to the Russian attack on Ukraine in February 2022 and the associated emergence of another crisis with enormous political, economic and societal impacts, the working group has broadened its focus to include the topic of the Ukraine war and refugee movements to Germany. A coordination meeting was organised with researchers from migration research and comparative survey research, and subsequently a collection of studies was created that empirically record the social effects of the Ukraine war. In this way, a further contribution is to be made to the networking of researchers in societal crises.
- Format: Working group of German Data Forum (RatSWD) members of the 6th and 7th appointment periods
- Objective: connect empirical social science research in societal crises
- Output: establishment of a database, publication of recommendations in the German Data Forum (RatSWD) Output Series, presentation of the results at different events and first steps towards implementation
- Time frame: start: December 2020, standard questionnaire: Spring 2022, publication of results and recommendations in the RatSWD output series: Winter 2022/2023, implementation and finalization phase until November 2023.
The working group is funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research as part of the project “Best_FDM” (Better results through interoperability and standardised research data management: networking empirical social science research in social crises) with the identifier 01UW2000.
Publications (in German only)
- Connecting social science research in societal crises.
Coordination initiatives and recommendations for data harmonization
RatSWD Output 4a (7): Vernetzung sozialwissenschaftlicher Forschung in gesellschaftlichen Krisen
Koordinierungsinitiativen und Empfehlungen zur Datenharmonisierung
- Standard questionnaire with socio-demographic and crisis-related variables. Developed by the RatSWD working group on connecting social science research in social crises
RatSWD Output 4b (7): Standardfragenkatalog zur Erhebung soziodemographischer und krisenbezogener Variablen
Erstellt von der Arbeitsgruppe des RatSWD zur Vernetzung sozialwissenschaftlicher Forschung in gesellschaftlichen Krisen
- 11 May 2023, WZB Berlin Social Science Center
Poster presentation at the conference “Digitalisierung, Arbeit und Gesellschaft in der postpandemischen Konstellation“
- 31 March 2023, DIW Berlin
Presentation on the 15th workshop of panel surveys in the German-speaking region
- 28 March 2023, 9|KSWD, Session H: Sozio-demographische Variablen in Umfragen: Forschungspotentiale durch Harmonisierung steigern
Presentation: Standardfragenkatalog zur Erhebung soziodemographischer und krisenbezogener Variablen
- 27 March 2023, 9|KSWD, Session B: Krisen, Daten, Infrastrukturen – Wie kann die Wissenschaft dynamischen Anforderungen begegnen?
Presentation: Vernetzung sozialwissenschaftlicher Forschung in gesellschaftlichen Krisen
- 25 June 2021, Article published in the GESIS Blog
Was kann die (empirische) Forschung aus der COVID-19-Pandemie lernen?
- 07 June 2021, NFDI-Infratalk
Slides of the presentation
Video of the NFDI-Infratalk
- February 2021, TU Chemnitz
Poster presentation at the event „Open Science and Replicability in the Behavioural Social Sciences“
- February 2021, Open Science Conference
Presentation of the project „Best_FDM“