Various projects and initiatives currently exist that empirically record the social effects of the corona pandemic and how to combat it. Since March 2020, the German Data Forum (RatSWD) has been collecting information on social, behavioural, educational, and economic studies and initiatives for empirical research on the corona pandemic, all of which can be found at https://www.konsortswd.de/ratswd/themen/corona/studien/.
The collection reveals that recurring topics of the German Data Forum (RatSWD), such as data quality, interoperability between the various projects, and the concept of research data management were only considered sporadically in the projects. The aim of this working group is to initiate networking and interoperability of social, behavioural, educational, and economic research projects across methodological boundaries, and thus support the quality assurance of research data and the change in data culture, even in small ad hoc research projects. The intended outcome is the establishment and continuation of the database on the German Data Forum (RatSWD) website, and the publication and communication of a standard questionnaire to allow for interoperability between studies. In addition, a concept of a contact point for national and international exchanges is to be developed in order to network researchers in social crises. The results of the working group will be published in the German Data Forum (RatSWD) Output Series and implemented through workshops and presentations at specialist conferences.
The working group is funded by the BMBF as part of the project “Best_FDM” (Better results through interoperability and standardised research data management: networking empirical social science research in social crises) with the identifier 01UW2000.
- Format: Working group of German Data Forum (RatSWD) members of the 6th and 7th appointment periods
- Objective: network empirical social science research in societal crises
- Output: establishment of a database, conceptualisation of a contact point for national and international exchange, publication of recommendations in the German Data Forum (RatSWD) Output Series, and begin first steps to implement results
- Time frame: start in December 2020, standard questionnaire in spring 2021, publication of results and recommendations in the German Data Forum (RatSWD) Output Series in spring 2022, implementation and final phase by November 2022
- Video of the NFDI Infratalk on 07 June 2021
- Slides of the presentation at the NFDI Infratalk on 07 June 2021
- Poster presentation at the event “Open Science and Replicability in the Behavioural Social Sciences” at TU Chemnitz, April 2021
- Presentation of the project “Best_FDM” at the Open Science Conference, February 2021
- RatSWD Press release (04 April 2020)