- continuously improving the availability of information on nationally and internationally available data,
- facilitating access to research data,
- advancing methods of data production, data documentation, and data storage,
- further developing the research data infrastructure,
- developing a joint communication concept for RDCs,
- exchanging information and knowledge with accredited RDCs, for example, on best practice solutions,
- running a monitoring commission, which evaluates the annual reports from RatSWD accredited RDCs and processes complaints from data users,
- publishing annual activities report on RatSWD-accredited RDCs,
- reviewing accreditation applications of new RDCs and issuing recommendations for the German Data Forum (RatSWD),
- intensifying international networking between German RDCs and their European-level and international partners.
Key areas of activity 2017-2020
In the German Data Forum’s 6th appointment period 2017-2020, the FDI Committee strives to strengthen cooperation among the currently 38 research data centres (RDCs) to improve data availability for researchers. To this end, it has defined four key areas of activity: (1) harmonisation of processes in the RDCs (e.g., data use contracts), (2) the expansion of access to research data from RDCs, for example, via guest researcher work stations of other RDCs, (3) the opening up of the existing data infrastructure for scientific and official data producers, and (4) the advancement of skill development training for the RDCs’ employees and data users.
Joint working groups with members of the German Data Forum specify the efforts required and to some extent the implementation of short, medium and long-term aims. Moreover, they address pressing questions such as increasing demands to storage and computing capacities.